Thursday, July 7, 2016

B2B Lab: Doggie Treater...


I have a cute, but not so little, Beagle-Dachshund dog that happens to suffer from a little “separation anxiety” every time I have to leave her alone for a while. “Calming treats” didn’t seem to work, so I tried to come up with a way to ease the anxiety a bit by hiding a couple of treats around the apartment, but she became so good at finding them by the time I was out the door.  What to do for my poor dog????

LEGO to the rescue!

A Doggie Treat Dispenser…


It is a NXT robot that was programmed with EV3 software. The recorded voice calling my dog sounds pretty close to my voice (I think). It is timed to call her after 90 minutes and toss her a treat. Due to memory constraints, timing had to be done in 3 (1800 seconds) blocks. The voice recording also had to be done in separate one-word blocks, instead of a sentence. The sleep feature on the controller brick is set to “Never” to prevent shutting down before the 90 minutes. It didn’t take many practices for her to get the idea – she’s a smart dog!


Yum!

*


No comments:

Post a Comment