Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Book Review: LEGO Adventure Book...



Here’s a nice book for young (and not so young AFOLs like myself) LEGO builders. The LEGO® Adventure Book: Cars, Castles, Dinosaurs, and More! (Vol. 1) by Megan Rothrock, No Starch Press is a rather unique building instructions book, because it is written in a story/comic book style with color photos of LEGO scenes, models, and step-by-step building instructions. There are almost 200 models (25 have building instructions) that span themes of time, places, and styles with short building tips and journal notes; and I love the little speech bubbles of comments. The models and their building instructions are not just the author’s, but also 13 of the best LEGO builders around; with each builder’s name and website to see more of their creations.


The cool models and building techniques are a source of inspiration for LEGO builders/fans of all abilities. The author states on the title page, “For years, I’ve wanted to learn to be a better builder, to do more with the LEGO bricks I have been creating with my entire life. So today, I decided to do it. I packed up my stuff and headed into the unknown. What will I build? What other LEGO builds might I encounter? It’s going to be fun finding out!” I think this statement echoes the desires of most LEGO builders – to be better builders and to see what their creativeness will discover and create.

This is the type of book that you prop up with your LEGO elements spread around you; to read and build at the same time. Buy hardcover book from No Starch Press and receive the free eBook – perfect for your tablet device, which is definitely the way to read and build at the same time.

The LEGO® Adventure Book: Cars, Castles, Dinosaurs, and More! is Volume 1 in what is to be a series and I am looking forward to enjoying the future volumes as well. 

*

No comments:

Post a Comment